Thursday, August 14, 2008

God Already Gave You a Road Map for Your Life

"I'll do whatever God wants me to do."
"God hasn't told me what His plan for me is yet."
"I'm waiting to see what God wants me to do."

Much of my conversation with fellow Christians is littered with verbage like this.  What should my career be?  God'll tell me.  What's my plan for next week?  Dunno, God hasn't told me yet.  What should tomorrow's breakfast be?  God hasn't said yet, we'll see.   The assumption in all this is that if God wants you to do something, He will divinely reveal to you His plan for your life.

Think about this however.  There are only 40 authors of the entire Bible.  That means that in the entire history of the world there were only approximately forty times that God revealed his Divine will to humans.  And people think God will split the sky and do it again, just for you?

Don't get me wrong.  We are to serve the Lord and keep His commands.  (Joshua 22:5)  All our decisions are to be in submission to God.  (Proverbs 3:5-6)  But the sum total of those commands have already been known for 2, 000 years.  Jesus Himself, when the Pharisees asked for just one more sign, scoffed in their faces.  (Mark 8:10-13)  They'd seen enough to be convinced; their problem is that they didn't want to be convinced.  Christians who speak the way those above do are speaking like sailors who say they want to get to a particular destination but refuse to steer the rudder in such a way as to actually get you there.  You have the instruction manual and a map; why aren't you using it?  Oh, right, "the winds" will take you there if that's where you're supposed to go.

So, what is God's plan for your life?  Well, gee, if only He had written it down somewhere, like in a book or something...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what is your career going to be, and what are you going to have for breakfast tomorrow morning. Oh, by the way, enjoy your one day off tomorrow from work before classes start.

Vanessa B said...

Does this mean you're denying that God speaks to people anymore? I mean, I might find it reasonable to say that he doesn't give major divine revelations, but I think it's rather limiting to God to say that he no longer communicates with people. It's like denying we can have a real connection with God, because he doesn't speak to us directly. I personally think we can all have a relationship with God that is as close as the next person, and that God can and does still speak to people. Maybe not in words, but it's silly to think that he's suddenly silent.